I'm booking school visits for 2023-2024, as well as conference and library presentations!
I'm able to teach small groups or present in front of a large group. My experience as a teacher and author lends itself to all sorts of lessons or presentations. I'm also able to adapt my presentations to different ages.
Ideas are below, but please contact me, so that we can discuss what you're looking for!
I look forward to meeting you!
CHILDREN--45 minutes to an hour
* For Real with Nonfiction (most requested for elementary)
* Lying Without Being Grounded: Writing Fiction
* Get Real: Writing Realistic Fiction
* Get Out of Here! Writing Out-of-This World Fiction
* Wow! Bumpy! Gross! The Senses in Writing
* Creative Writing -- Three Main Genres
* Let's Get Graphic: Writing Graphic Novels
* In the Middle (middle grade fiction)
* Writing You Choose (middle grade fiction)
* What's Writing Got to Do with It? (all ages presentation)
ADULTS--45 minutes to an hour or multi-week
* Researching and Writing Children's Nonfiction (education market)
* Writing Children's Fiction
* Wings and Writing: A USAF Thunderbirds Daughter
* Lying Without Being Sued: Writing Fiction
* What's Writing Got to Do with It? (PG-13 presentation)
* Teaching Artist at The Loft Literary Center, Minneapolis
* Private classes
* Retired educator with 25 years of experience -- I am a licensed K-12 English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher and 7-12 Language Arts (LA)
$250 for a one-hour event or session presentation
$1,000/day for up to four sessions (mileage, lodging, and meals may be additional), but please don't let that stop you from contacting me!
* the Midsouth Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) created a terrific list of ways schools can help fund author visits, ranging from service organizations to corporations to local businesses to Friends of the Library to grants; check it out:
FREE for a 30-minute or less read aloud with Q & A
$150 for a 60-minute presentation and a writing activity
"I liked it. It was cool. I thought it was going to be boring, but it was fun!"
--4th grader, school presentation For
Real with Nonfiction
"Lisa Bolt Simons was amazing. She had perfect classroom control and presence and got the students thinking outside of the box using their senses."
--adult comment at a Conference for
Young Writers, "Wow! Bumpy!
Gross! The Senses in Writing" session
"You're such a great presenter!"
--educator at a continuing ed
session about writing books